Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Salsa Verde and Short Rib Tacos


I just came from Oaxaca...and I love their salsa verde.  I didn’t want to research any recipes...I just wanted to make it with flavors I thought worked...so I picked out 6 good sized green and 5 red jalapeños, 2 full bunches of really fragrant Cilantro (sometimes it has no smell or it smells old)...came home...rinsed it off...put the whole bunches right in the vitamix (minus the rubber bands), cut off the stems of the jalapenos..tossed those in...added a half cup of sliced deli pickled Jalapeños with the juice and pinch of salt...a swirl of Mandranova extra virgin olive oil....and flipped the switch to emulsify the mixture.... I wanted the textures smooth and creamy...

The whole thing took less than 3 minutes to make from start to finish and the flavor is incredible.  Poured it all in a quart sized jar and refrigerated it....I took the left over in the vitamix...added a little water and poured it into my simmering short ribs to add just a little kick.

The short ribs....   Took a package from Costco with 6 pieces at about 8” strips.... seasoned them with a little kosher salt...browned them on both sides..sliced up a sweet onion and tossed that in....mixed it around to soak up some of the browned bits from the meat.  Ricky from Palm Restaurant had been so kind to give me a bottle of SKYNNY white wine a few weeks back....and since I didn’t have any chicken stock....I decided I would use the remainder of the bottle (about 3/4 full)....poured it in.....added a few cups of water to cover the ribs...a heaping Tablespoon of brown sugar....the leftover salsa verde in the vitamix jar cleaned out with a little water....some red pepper flakes.... turned up the heat to boil.....then turned it down to simmer for hours....leaving the cover on but open about 2”....

4 hours later....tossed two corn tortillas over an open flame to heat up...added a little short ribs on each....a line of salsa verde across...and YUMMILICIOUS it was!!!...along with a little fresh sliced pineapple...

So quick and easy!!

No comments: