Here's my version:
2 TBSN Butter
3 pieces celery, diced 1/4"
3 large potatoes, diced 1/2"
1 lb fresh clams or 4 bottles whole clams
4 - 8oz bottles of clam juice
1/2 cup white wine
1/2 tsp white pepper
Kosher salt to taste
red pepper flakes to taste (optional)
1.5 cups whole milk
1/2 cup heavy cream (can use light cream if you prefer)
10 TBSN Butter
5 oz All purpose Flour
1. In a large pot, melt the butter and sauté the onions on medium heat until they are translucent (don't brown).
2. Add celery
3. Add potatoes, clams, juice, wine,white pepper and salt (and optional red pepper flakes)
4. Turn up heat to high and bring to a boil.
5. In a heated saucier (sauce pan), melt the butter completely and with a wire whisk, stir in the flour until well blended. Reduce heat to low and cook while other pot is coming to a boil.
6. When the soup pot is boiling and the potatoes are done, stir in the roux. Bring it back to a boil and remove it from the heat to cool.
(note: when using a roux, whatever it is added to must return to a boil or go rancid).
7. In a separate pan, pour in the milk and cream. Now slowly add some of the stock from the soup to temper it, bringing it up to equal temperature and then add it back to the soup.
9. Make sure the soup is cooled properly on a cooling rack until it is ready to be refrigerated if there's any left.
Great with a loaf of warm crusty bread....
Yield 8 cups