3 tsp or 2 package yeast (I use two different kinds)
2 cups water (approx 100˚F)
1 tsp sugar
3.5 cups all purpose or bread flour (or more if needed)
1/2 cup almond meal
1/4 cup roasted Flax Seeds
1 TBSN Sea salt, fine
1 TBSN butter, softened
Roasted Flax Seeds
Almonds (chopped or slivered)
- In a small bowl pour 1/4 cup water about 100˚F, sprinkle in yeast, stir in sugar. Allow to sit for 5 -10 minutes. Yeast will bubble and rise to double in size.
- In a mixmaster with a paddle attachement or a mixing bowl by hand, combine flour and salt. Add in Almond Meal and Flax Seeds. Add yeast mixture and remaining warmed water and continue mixing to well incorporated.
- If using the mixmaster, remove paddle attachment and replace with the hook attachment. Continue kneading for 15 minutes either by machine or by hand.
- Remove dough from bowl and create a ball. Dough should be just slightly sticky. Coat hands with butter and just rub around the dough, place in metal bowl or a basket, cover with a linen towel and allow to rise for 2 hours.
- Punch down the dough, remove from Bowl/Basket and knead for 5 minutes. Return to Bowl/Basket for another hour.
- If using a ceramic top/bottom (like la cloche) put the dough into the ceramic container and sprinkle on Roasted Flax Seeds and Chopped or slivered almonds. Cover with top and place in a COLD oven, shelf should be on the lower 3rd. Turn the oven up to 475˚ for 15 minutes, turning down to 400˚ for 30 minutes and the last 8 minutes remove the top.
- If using a regular oven, place dough on a cookie sheet or a ceramic tile in the oven and follow the same procedure as above for baking.
- When done, remove from oven and immediately put bread on a cooling rack. Serve immediately with softened salted butter and strawberry Jam or peanut butter.